VNC strong authentication, fixing the registry permissions

David Starks-Browning starksb "at" ebi.ac.uk
Fri, 24 Nov 2000 12:00:30 +0000

On Friday 24 Nov 00, Tim Waugh writes:
> > Unless you can find a stable native sshd port for Win32 (there are
> > various non-native cygwin-derived sshd ports, but these are all
> > flawed as they are not true NT services), sshd is port forwarding
> > the VNC traffic over potentially insecure network segments
> > (typically true in a colocation scenario).
>
> But sshd is encrypting it, surely?

I think his point was that vnc would have to go unencrypted over a
network segment *if* there were no ssh running on the Windows host.

Andrew, did you look at Zebedee?  You did not mention it.  I find it
to be a convenient substitute for a Windows sshd implementation.  (But
security-wise, I don't know how it compares.)

Cheers,
David