anyone working on a vnc server for OS X...

Jonathan Morton chromatix "at" penguinpowered.com
Wed, 22 Nov 2000 21:15:39 +0000

>I am writing to ask if anyone on this list is working on or knows someone
>or some organization/company that is working on a vnc server for Mac OS
>X. And I am talking about an AquaVNC not an Xvnc. I have Xvnc running on
>it now using one of the OS X vnc viewers, but this is not what I want.
>
>I am thinking it is possible to have an AquaVNC for OS X because both the
>current Mac and the Windows VNCs are not based on X so...

I don't think anyone is working on it just now, simply because nobody knows
enough about MacOS X yet to work out how easy it is or what the correct
method is.  Note that the current VNC Server for Classic MacOS (see my
signature) does work partially under MacOS X, but the result isn't very
usable.

The problem is entirely one of how to 'hook' into the OS to find out when
an area of the screen has changed, and to tell the OS to move the mouse,
type, etc.  All the other algorithms and networking code can easily be
ported from the Classic MacOS server.

from:     Jonathan "Chromatix" Morton
big-mail: chromatix "at" penguinpowered.com
uni-mail: j.d.morton "at" lancaster.ac.uk

Get VNC Server for Macintosh from http://www.chromatix.uklinux.net/vnc/