cygwin/xfree + Xvnc??

Mon, 20 Nov 2000 15:30:24 +0000

I've heard mention that the Xvnc implementation is more efficient (and
faster) than the WinVNC port, because WinVNC has to deal with Windows
inadequacies, etc.

Now, I know this is a kludge, but I was wondering if anyone's tried this:

-install WinVNC on a box as a service
-install Cygwin and cygwin/xfree
-install cygwin port of Xvnc

-have WinVNC answer on loopback, change default port
-start Xvnc (in the background??)
-run vncviewer on Xvnc, connected to localhost (the WinVNC server)
-connect from some other machine with vncviewer using the Xvnc display

Just wondering if this would be faster at all, or whether I'm about to waste
my time trying this...

Thanks,
Glenn