tight encoding over VPN?

Fri, 17 Nov 2000 15:36:37 +0000

I realize I'll probably have to just try this myself, but anyway:

I'm curious to hear about people's experiences with the tight encoding
version of vnc (win32 server and viewer) over an IPsec VPN, specifically
"speed", etc.  I realize speed discussions have come up often on the list,
however I haven't seen anything relating to tight encoding over a VPN.

Also, a coworker tried using the "vanilla" VNC over such a setup, and
complained terribly about slowness, watching the screen paint, etc.  I told
him it depends on a number of factors, including encoding type, colour
depth, network usage, and so on, but he insists that he tried PCAnywhere
over the same setup (same machine) and it was considerably more responsive.
This shouldn't be :)  I'm thinking maybe the tight encoding version may work
a little better - I haven't tried it yet.

Anyway, thanks for your input.
Glenn