[NEWBIE] Problems with new install VNC and RH6.2

Jonathan Morton chromatix "at" penguinpowered.com
Fri, 17 Nov 2000 08:08:36 +0000

>I'm a COMPLETE newbie here. I just got RedHat 6.2 running with dhcpcd.
>
>1) I want to get VNC running so that it *turns on* when the computer starts.
>I have -NO- idea how or where to do this.

You could use /etc/rc.d/rc.local which is executed at boot time.  Simply
append lines such as:

--- snip ---
echo -n "Starting VNC server..."
su username -c "vncserver -depth 16 -geometry 1152x870" > /dev/null &
echo "done."
--- snip ---

>2) When i try to manually start vncserver from the command, i get the
>following....

<SNIP>

Looks like it's working perfectly.  100dpi fonts are optional, most people
don't need them.  You need to use vncviewer to actually connect to the
vncserver (on display :1) and view what's running on it.  You may also want
to edit ~/.vnc/xstartup so it uses your favourite window manager rather
than the old TWM which is the default.

Oh yes, another tip: don't run X or vncserver as root, it's very easy to
make mistakes in a graphical environment which could be disastrous to your
system as root (and which would only be disastrous to your user files
otherwise).

from:     Jonathan "Chromatix" Morton
big-mail: chromatix "at" penguinpowered.com
uni-mail: j.d.morton "at" lancaster.ac.uk

Get VNC Server for Macintosh from http://www.chromatix.uklinux.net/vnc/