RFB redirection

Jonathan Morton chromatix "at" penguinpowered.com
Wed, 15 Nov 2000 14:36:37 +0000

>Does anybody know if the RFB protocol supports redirection? For example, my
>custom server is overloaded, and I went to tell a new client to use a
>different server instead. I guess I can program my server to simply route
>packets, but it seems rather unnecessary. Anyone?

No, the RFB protocol does not directly support this.  However, it does
support rejection of new connections with any arbitrary reason during the
initial handshaking process, so you could deny a connection with "Sorry,
server overloaded, please try server2.company.com instead."

The RFB protocol is described in a PDF file in the Documentation section of
the AT&T VNC website.

from:     Jonathan "Chromatix" Morton
big-mail: chromatix "at" penguinpowered.com
uni-mail: j.d.morton "at" lancaster.ac.uk

Get VNC Server for Macintosh from http://www.chromatix.uklinux.net/vnc/