VNC -identd xstartup issues

Joshua J. Kugler jkugler "at" bigfoot.com
Tue, 14 Nov 2000 21:32:41 +0000

I have Xvnc running via inetd on my workstation at work, and I run it with
-query, and also have kdm running.  Then the user simply logs in, and they
get their desktop, whatever startup scripts they have.

Like so:

#VNC Connections
vnc-800x600x16   stream tcp nowait root /usr/local/bin/Xvnc Xvnc -inetd
-query localhost -once -geometry 800x600 -depth 16
vnc-1024x768x16  stream tcp nowait root /usr/local/bin/Xvnc Xvnc -inetd
-query localhost -once -geometry 1024x768 -depth 16
vnc-1152x864x16  stream tcp nowait root /usr/local/bin/Xvnc Xvnc -inetd
-query localhost -once -geometry 1152x864 -depth 16
vnc-1280x1024x16 stream tcp nowait root /usr/local/bin/Xvnc Xvnc -inetd
-query localhost -once -geometry 1280x1024 -depth 16

And in services, I have:

#VNC connections
vnc-800x600x16  5901/tcp
vnc-1024x768x16 5902/tcp
vnc-1152x864x16 5903/tcp
vnc-1280x1024x16        5904/tcp

So a user can select their display size by host:display number, and once
they connect, they are presented with the KDM login screen. They login, and
get their desktop. Works great.  I really like it.

Hope that helps someone.  And a quick note of thanks to those of you who
have hashed this problem out before.  It was a great help to me in setting
this up.  And thanks to the person responsible (I forget his name) for the
-inetd switch patch.  That makes life SO much easier. :)

j----- k-----

At 11:42 Tuesday 11/14/2000 +0000, you allegedly said:
>On Mon, Nov 13, 2000 at 11:15:12PM -0800, PhaseBurn wrote:
>
> > I just installed VNC 3.3.3r2-4 from the RPM, under Red Hat 7.0... I got
> Xvnc
> > working find under xinetd and am running it as root, bound to the internal
> > LAN IP only. I can connect just fine using the windows viewer, but it's
> only
> > a grey background with a curser. I know the xstartup file is run to load
> > programs, and I know that mine obviously is empty, but I can't find the one
> > that is being used.
>
>As I understand it, all you get when you use -inetd is the VNC server;
>vncserver is the script that _also_ runs xstartup.  If you are using
>-inetd, you have to start your window manager etc by hand.
>
>If anyone knows different, I'd be very interested.
>
>Tim.
>*/
>
>[demime 0.97b removed an attachment of type application/pgp-signature]
>to majordomo "at" uk.research.att.com

Joshua J. Kugler
Computer Consultant--Web Developer
jkugler "at" bigfoot.com
ICQ#:13706295
Every knee shall bow, and every tongue confess, in heaven, on earth, and
under the earth, that Jesus Christ is LORD -- Count on it!