[UNIX-VNCserver] Stupid questions

Chip Mefford cmefford "at" avwashington.com
Tue, 14 Nov 2000 14:50:36 +0000

I've been playing with/using vnc for a couple of
years.

In general, I use vnc to adminster a few oddball Macintosh
application servers from a Linux desktop, and a few
other macs.

Had one of my designers come and ask me the other day
about using VNC as a display controller for a noc
video wall where there are a lot of solaris machines.

His thought was to have a single winboxen running vnc
viewer driving the video wall. From there, to be able
to use vncviewer to monitor the various solaris desktops
running in the room.

I said, "I dunno, should work"
and started playing with Xvncserver.

What I got is not what I expected.

I expected the vncviewer to connect to the
active desktop display (in my case a gnome
session) and of course what I got was a new
xsession running twm.

Ummm,

what is the easy way to use xvncviewer to monitor
my desktop?

Thanks in advance.

chipper