WinVNC - Dun 1.3 Issue

Tue, 14 Nov 2000 14:18:40 +0000

What IP address are you manually specifying?? I believe Win98 (SE??) will
automagically select an internal IP, such as 192.168.1.1 if you've got
networking set up by default, select "Obtain an IP address", and don't have
a DHCP server (this is a registry setting, can't remember where exactly).
If you're using dial-up, the IP you're assigned via PPP may be conflicting
with the IP you're manually specifying.

What part of VNC doesn't work?? IE, are you running the WinVNC server on
that machine and trying to connect (in which case you'll need the IP, so run
"winipcfg" on the server machine), or you can't connect using the viewer to
anything (don't have a clue - if you have a network/internet connection,
should work fine, assuming your server is also set up OK).

-----Original Message-----
From: Dan Prunuske [mailto:dprune "at" dotnet.com]
Sent: Tuesday, November 14, 2000 12:18 AM
To: vnc-list "at" uk.research.att.com
Subject: RE: WinVNC - Dun 1.3 Issue

Riley, Jimmy wrote:
>Check outlook express connections.

Found the problem: unchecked the "Connect to the Internet as req'd" box in
the Internet Control Panel Applet. Thanks for the tips.

Next problem: When I specify an IP address in TCP/IP properties, I can no
longer access my ISP's mail server, WWW servers, etc., but VNC works fine.
When I reset the TCP/IP properties to "Obtain an IP address automatically",
Netscape & Eudora once again work properly, but of course VNC does not.
Both the VNC server and client machines are stand alone - not on any other
network. I would like to be able to access my ISP and run VNC on both
machines as req'd. Is this possible?

Dan