[patch] bind to specific interface in Xvnc

Tim Waugh twaugh "at" redhat.com
Fri, 10 Nov 2000 15:36:57 +0000

On Fri, Nov 10, 2000 at 09:14:30AM -0500, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:

> In most Linux distributions XDM (be default) only listens on the
> unix (local) socket and not on the tcp/udp socket so it should be
> secure.  I'd assume that some similair option for XDM exists on
> other UNIX platforms as well

I wasn't talking about the display manager; I was talking about Xvnc.
Only two of the three listening sockets are affected by -interface.

[twaugh "at" meme ~]$ Xvnc :1 -httpd /usr/share/vnc/classes &> /dev/null &
[1] 15141
[twaugh "at" meme ~]$ netstat -tlp
(Not all processes could be identified, non-owned process info
 will not be shown, you would have to be root to see it all.)
Active Internet connections (only servers)
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address           Foreign Address         State
PID/Program name
tcp        0      0 *:5801                  *:*                     LISTEN
15141/Xvnc
tcp        0      0 *:5901                  *:*                     LISTEN
15141/Xvnc
tcp        0      0 *:6001                  *:*                     LISTEN
15141/Xvnc
[...]

[demime 0.97b removed an attachment of type application/pgp-signature]