[patch] bind to specific interface in Xvnc

Adam Tauno Williams adam "at" morrison-ind.com
Fri, 10 Nov 2000 15:19:53 +0000

>>We have added your patch to the TridiaVNC source tree.  I think this
>>will be useful for more secure VNC access to firewalls and routers.
>Great.  Note that it doesn't close off the X socket, so although 5810
>and 5910 will be bound to an interface, 6010 will be open to all
>interfaces.
>I'm not enough of an X hacker to fix this, but someone should probably
>look at it so that people don't trust -interface too much.

In most Linux distributions XDM (be default) only listens on the unix (local)
socket and not on the tcp/udp socket so it should be secure.  I'd assume that
some similair option for XDM exists on other UNIX platforms as well

Systems and Network Administrator
Morrison Industries
1825 Monroe Ave NW.
Grand Rapids, MI. 49505