enabling raw encoding

Fri, 10 Nov 2000 14:25:48 +0000

OK, for the record, I figured it out myself:

Make a standard connection to a VNC server.  Go to the system menu (click on
the VNC logo in the top left corner of the viewer screen).  Select "save
connection info as..." and save the file with whatever name you want (it'll
be somefile.vnc).  Open that file in Notepad (or any other text editor).
Change the line that says "preferred_encoding=5" to "preferred_encoding=0"
for raw encoding, or "preferred_encoding=2" for RRE (4 is CoRRE, 5 is
Hextile).  Delete the "host=" and "port=" lines (this worked for me,
possibly because I'm using Zebedee to create a secure tunnel and have to
specify "localhost:99" when I want to initiate a VNC connection through the
tunnel).  Save the file when you're done editing it.

So, the syntax to launch vncviewer (at least on win32, that is) would be
"vncviewer -config somefile.vnc <ipaddress>:port".  Also, I've found that
the .vnc file should be in the same directory as vncviewer - if it's in a
different directory, I kept getting "Argument error: can't open config
file".

Hope this helps,
Glenn

-----Original Message-----
From: Glenn Mabbutt [mailto:gmabbutt "at" quartetservice.com]
Sent: Wednesday, November 08, 2000 5:00 PM
To: 'vnc-list "at" uk.research.att.com'
Subject: enabling raw encoding

Hi, I'm trying to enable raw encoding, not the default Hextile (I'm using
the latest Win32 viewer - and server on the remote end, if that matters).
Specifically, I'm wondering if there's a way to specify RAW from the command
line with vncviewer (don't see it in the win32 vncviewer docs).  I've also
tried manually specifying it in the "options" dialog box before I connect
using vncviewer (graphically), only to have raw AND another option selected.
Close the "options" box, re-open it, and find raw isn't enabled, only the
other option.  How can I enable raw encoding??

(FYI, I'm playing with it because I'm also playing with encrypted pipes, and
I'm looking at performance issues, etc.)

Thanks!!

Glenn