WINVNC Admin password synchronization?

James Wong (Infrasys) james_wong "at" infrasys.com.hk
Fri, 10 Nov 2000 03:50:06 +0000

I have applied some registry settings:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\ORL\WinVNC\Administrator
   \AllowProperties    1
   \Shutdown             1
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\ORL\WinVNC\Default
   \AllowProperties    0
   \Shutdown             0

Such that only Administrator is allowed to
- change the settings, e.g. password, accept connection & etc
- Shutdown the VNC
Therefore, I configure the VNC solely for Administrator!

However, I find that the password is not synchronized to "Default profile"
when Administrator changes password. It only updates to
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ORL\WinVNC3\Password, instead of the default
profile.

It will result system having differet passwords when console is logged on:
- by Administrator, use new password
- others, use old password
- w/o console logon, use old password also.

What is the easiest way such that WINVNC can be configured solely for
Administrator, without such password not synchronized issue?

Any suggestion?

James