Encoding numbers in use

Jonathan Morton chromatix "at" penguinpowered.com
Thu, 09 Nov 2000 18:11:09 +0000

>Tristan Richardson wrote:
>
>> To help avoid clashes in encoding numbers used by different people, I've
>> started a list of all known encoding numbers in use on
>> http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/protocol.html
>>
>> Let me know if there are any others which need adding to the list.  No doubt
>> there will already be some clashes, but it's better late than never!
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Tristan
>
>Hello, This is a very good idea, but "0 to 5 are standard RFB 3.3 encodings.".
>I do not understand because for me the value 3 is not used.
>
>So is my rfbproto.h false, or do i do a misunderstanding?

Value 3 may have been used for an experimental encoding within ORL (as was)
which was subsequently dropped.  I would consider it unwise to use the
number in any case, even though viewers and servers using such an ancient
version of the protocol probably no longer exist.

from:     Jonathan "Chromatix" Morton
big-mail: chromatix "at" penguinpowered.com
uni-mail: j.d.morton "at" lancaster.ac.uk

Get VNC Server for Macintosh from http://www.chromatix.uklinux.net/vnc/