enabling raw encoding

Thu, 09 Nov 2000 15:16:50 +0000

OK, after looking at the X vncviewer docs, it looks like there's a
-encodings flag that will set encodings from the command line.  However,
with the Win32 version, invoking "vncviewer /encodings raw copyrect <ip
address>" seems to still default to Hextile encoding.  Also "vncviewer
-encodings raw copyrect <ip address>" does the same thing (no errors on
either one, though) - at least "Connection options" reports Hextile.  Is it
safe to assume that the win32 version can't do encoding changes from the
command line?  (I'm already playing with .vnc files and changing the
preffered_encoding value to 0, which _will_ change the default to raw
encoding, if you double-click the .vnc file - and you've run "vncviewer
/register".)

Have I got any other options??

Thanks,
Glenn

-----Original Message-----
From: Glenn Mabbutt [mailto:gmabbutt "at" quartetservice.com]
Sent: Wednesday, November 08, 2000 5:00 PM
To: 'vnc-list "at" uk.research.att.com'
Subject: enabling raw encoding

Hi, I'm trying to enable raw encoding, not the default Hextile (I'm using
the latest Win32 viewer - and server on the remote end, if that matters).
Specifically, I'm wondering if there's a way to specify RAW from the command
line with vncviewer (don't see it in the win32 vncviewer docs).  I've also
tried manually specifying it in the "options" dialog box before I connect
using vncviewer (graphically), only to have raw AND another option selected.
Close the "options" box, re-open it, and find raw isn't enabled, only the
other option.  How can I enable raw encoding??

(FYI, I'm playing with it because I'm also playing with encrypted pipes, and
I'm looking at performance issues, etc.)

Thanks!!

Glenn