Backspace when i hit 5 key.

Justin Hamilton JHamilton "at" Earthling.Net
Thu, 09 Nov 2000 03:20:09 +0000

Not sure how relevant this is, but the xmodmap for VNC is completely
different to a regular X-Server.  If you use xmodmap to display the mapping
for the xVNC server, then run the same command against a running X-Server
(XF86) you will see the xVNC keycodes are ordered ABCDEFG etc where the
X-Server keycodes are based more on keyboard layout.

Sorry I don't have specifics in front of me right now, it was a while back
when I discovered this.

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-vnc-list "at"
[mailto:owner-vnc-list "at"]On Behalf Of Denes Molnar
Sent: Wednesday, November 08, 2000 7:56 PM
To: vnc-list "at"
Subject: Re: Backspace when i hit 5 key.

I have seen that too - on my Redhat Linux 6.2. Actually I found a
systemwide xmodmap file that really defines key 22 to be backspace and not
5. Commenting that line out in that file, everything works fine.

Thus, I am not sure whether that is an Xvnc or Redhat config issue. Though
it is true that setxkbmap did not work in the Xvnc session for some reason
I do not know (it gave some error saying something like that "extension
does not exist", or whatever). Maybe Redhat relies on xsetkbmap which
however does not work under Xvnc?

Denes Molnar
to majordomo "at"
See also: