VNC Unix and Java packages updated to 3.3.3r2

Freddy Jensen jensen "at" Adobe.COM
Wed, 08 Nov 2000 19:55:26 +0000

   >From: Tristan Richardson <tjr "at" uk.research.att.com>
   >Date: Thu Oct 26 2000 11:39am
   >To:   vnc-list "at" uk.research.att.com, vnc-announce "at" uk.research.att.com
   >Cc: vnc "at" uk.research.att.com
   >Subj: VNC Unix and Java packages updated to 3.3.3r2
   >
   >AT&T Laboratories Cambridge announces the release of VNC version 3.3.3r2 for
   >unix (X window system) platforms.

It appears that there is a bug in the Solaris version of the
server. When I start up the server I get these message when
it tries to read the xstart file:

xrdb: Can't open display ':1'
xsetroot:  unable to open display ':1'
xterm Xt error: Can't open display: :1
twm:  unable to open display ":1"

The new 3.3.3r2 server for Linux does not have this problem.
I could fix the problem by changing the first 2 lines in
xstartup to:

#!/bin/csh -f
setenv DISPLAY unix${DISPLAY}

The incoming DISPLAY is ":1" and it appears that Xvnc doesn't
like that. I have verified that it is in fact a bug in Xvnc
on Solaris only:

After the Xvnc server comes up (with my modified xstartup file)
I do this:

setenv DISPLAY :1
xterm &

and I get:

xterm Xt error: Can't open display: :1

Then I do this:

setenv DISPLAY unix:1
xterm &

and everything is fine.

Has anyone else experience this problem?

Thanks

--
Freddy Jensen, Sr. Computer Scientist, Adobe Systems Incorporated
345 Park Avenue, San Jose, CA 95110-2704, USA, Ph: (408) 536-2869