Bug in VNC with NumLock key

James ''Wez'' Weatherall jnw "at" uk.research.att.com
Wed, 08 Nov 2000 17:17:54 +0000

On Wed, 8 Nov 2000, Mickey Ferguson wrote:

> In a previous message, I wrote:
>
> >I'm running WinVNC Version 3.3.3 R 7 on NT 4.0 with Service Pack 6 on
> >both server and client.  When I connect from to server, the NumLock
> >indicator (and functionality) gets turned off.  Worse yet, it doesn't
> >even get turned back on when I disconnect.

WinVNC disables the NumLock setting on connect, as part of its attempt to
set the keyboard to a known initial state.

> >Ideally I think the server's NumLock state should be set based on the
> >client's, and then when the connection is broken the state is
> >restored.

This is tricky.  Reading the lock state is non-trivial because of the
keyboard API and the messages from the client are all state _change_
events - the server can't initially query the client for the state.

I can take out the numlock disabling code but I'm not sure that this would
solve any more problems than it would cause.

Cheers,

James "Wez" Weatherall