WIN2K Password, security, control

James Wong (Infrasys) james_wong "at" infrasys.com.hk
Wed, 08 Nov 2000 04:49:46 +0000

I have used VNC 2 months on all my WIN2K servers and it works very good !

I find that the VNC configuration, especially the password and accept
connection flag, depends on the user that console is being logged on.
Therefore, console user may disable the VNC connection or even change the
password, i.e. there's no central control of VNC regardless of console user.

I would like to know if it is possible to configure VNC such that:
- Only Administrator (or assigned users/groups) can change the VNC
configuration (accept connection/password & etc).  No unauthorized person
can turn if off and change the password.
- The password is NOT associated with current console logged user, instead
there is only one administrative password.

Any suggestion? Are they achievable by registry settings ?

James