mac addresses

Dub Dublin dub "at" infowave.com
Mon, 06 Nov 2000 21:22:38 +0000

In windows and Unix, you can find the IP address of a machine from it's
MAC address by looking in the ARP cache, using the command "arp -a".  Of
course, this only works if the address is already in the cache (meaning
generally that the two machines have somehow traded packets (or more
properly, frames) in the past 20 minutes.)

Generally, it's much easier to get IP addresses than MAC addresses
(there's even this whole thing called DNS that helps you do that...)  The
only reason I can think of why anyone would want to use MACs would be
because they have dynamic IP address assignment.  In that case, using the
MAC is just wrong, and you need to fix the problem either by using a
static IP or using a Dynamic DNS service like tzo.com.  (There are others,
these guys just come to mind...)

Dub