fastest winvnc?

James ''Wez'' Weatherall jnw22 "at" cam.ac.uk
Mon, 06 Nov 2000 15:16:53 +0000

> So are you basically saying that Windows is such junk that it's really
> hard to make a full-performance open source VNC server for it,
> regardless of the compiler?  I can understand that.
> I thank everyone for their work on such things that make the
> sysadmin's job much easier.  Open source software is so good at
> wrapping up proprietary nuggets of crap such as Windows.

Well, not quite.  If Microsoft publish the Terminal Server API, then it'd be
easy to write a VNC add-on.  For normal Windows NT machines, a hooking
graphics driver would be fine but that involves learning to write graphics
drivers and learning to write hook drivers, neither of which I have time to
do.

A few people have attempted to write hooking VNC video drivers but in
general the results haven't been very good, because they're so complicated
to get right and so hard to debug, I think.

Cheers,

James "Wez" Weatherall