100% PURE JAVA SERVER

W. Brian Blevins brian.blevins "at" tridia.com
Mon, 06 Nov 2000 14:14:57 +0000

Tal,

> Date: Sat, 04 Nov 2000 13:45:53 -0500
> From: Tal Liron <tliron "at" amherst.edu>
> Subject: RE: 100% PURE JAVA SERVER
>
> RAJ,
>
> I have been working on a 100% Java server for a while. Version 0.1 of jVNC
> is available here:

Could you may be consider using a different name?  I wrote a
java server project for *java applications* that has been
using that name for over a year.  See my signature for an
online demo.

> http://www.amherst.edu/~tliron/jvnc
>
> This version, however, is pretty bad in that it opens a window on the server
> machine. Version 0.2, to be out really soon, fixes that by using a "virtual"
> AWT Toolkit. Another cute thing is that jVNC uses the Robot class from
> JDK1.3 to allow real remote controlling. Performance is still pretty bad at
> this early stage (full screen refreshes) but it's a start.

I was contacted by another developer looking to use the robot
class for this purpose:

>          Re: "the jVNC you wrote and it seems really cool!"
>     Date:
>          Thu, 07 Sep 2000 13:43:59 -0400
>    From:
>          Jaime Solari <jso "at" MIT.EDU>
>      To:
>          "W. Brian Blevins" <brian.blevins "at" tridia.com>
>

> Hi Brian,
>
> I got your message and I'll take a look at the link you sent me this afternoon.
>
> The plan is to be able to share a desktop on the fly, without installing a vncserver, similar to what help desks do with their clients. I think this might be possible by using the capturescreen method in the Robot class that comes with jdk1.3 and then combining that with jVNC.
>
> If this works then the  next steps would be to tackle the performance/speed issues ( I read your email about the tree approach).
>
> I'll be happy to send you any changes I make.
>
> Thank you very much for taking the time to explain the setup procedure.
>
> Best,
>
> Jaime

Have you spoken with Jaime Solari?

--