can I get more than 8 bits on WinVNC/Windows version??

Dr. Joel M. Hoffman joel "at"
Sun, 05 Nov 2000 03:15:14 +0000

I hate to bother the list with this, because it must be a very simple
question, but I've looked everywhere, twice, and I can't find the

No matter what I do, I only get 8-bit color when viewing my Windows
VNC environment.  I've tried from another windows machine, and from a
Unix machine.  The windows machines can view my Unix machine just
fine, but no matter what I do, I get 8-bit color when viewing the
Windows machine.

When started the viewer on the Unix machine, here'w what I get:

| Connected to VNC server, using protocol version 3.3
| VNC server default format:
|   8 bits per pixel.
|   Colour map (not true colour).

I invoked the vncviewer this way:

	./vncviewer -truecolour -owncmap -depth 32

No command line on the vncviewer helps.

WHAT am I doing wrong?

Many thanks for putting up with what must be a very silly mistake on
my part.

-Joel Hoffman
(joel "at"
to majordomo "at"