100% PURE JAVA SERVER

Jamin Collins JaminC "at" adapt-tele.com
Sat, 04 Nov 2000 22:57:18 +0000

I can't say for certain that all of these things exist.  However, as the JVM
implementation is required to bridge the gaps between language functions on
how the OS does things, then yes it is quite possible.  This is one of the
intents behind Java (IIRC).  I've written a few programs in Java, each runs
exactly the same on Windows (all versions) and Linux.  So, in essence, you
find a way to do it within the Java language and it will work on all
compliant JVMs.

Jamin W. Collins

-----Original Message-----
From: Simon Biber [mailto:simon "at" basilisk2.cjb.net]
Sent: Saturday, November 04, 2000 3:40 PM
To: vnc-list "at" uk.research.att.com
Subject: Re: 100% PURE JAVA SERVER

Hi Tal,

Firstly I'd like to apologise for my ignorance with regard to Java and its
capabilities.

Are you saying that Java includes functions which provide a
platform-independent way of grabbing the screen of native (non-Java)
applications? That this would work on all the platforms with Java run-times
like Unix, Mac, PC and many others?

If so I am quite surprised :-)

Simon.