connection issue win98, now win2000 also

David McDowell dmcdowell "at" dynproinc.com
Fri, 03 Nov 2000 16:30:21 +0000

Thanks for the tip, but, that was also unsuccessful.  Turns out I had
3.3.3r2, she had 3.3.3r7, but even after updating, no luck via viewer or
web.  I cannot connect to her from work, or from home, when it used to be an
effortless task from either location.  I have not changed any of my system
configuration and she never changed hers on Win98, now with a fresh win2000,
still no go.  Again, something strange that coincides with this is, she
suddenly cannot FTP to my home machine, but can FTP anywhere else she likes.
I would normally trim this message, but I wanted to make sure people reading
this post would understand where it's coming from.  So, at this point, she
can still come to me and I cannot get to her as I used to.

thanks.

David McDowell
dmcdowell "at" dynproinc.com

ps, I'm on AIM at trnpike420 if you happen to want to try me.  If I'm at my
desk, I'll surely respond!  thanks.

> Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2000 12:21:32 -0600
> From: Jamin Collins <JaminC "at" adapt-tele.com>
> Subject: RE: connection issue win98, now win2000 also
>
> First, IIRC, VNC uses ports 59xx and 58xx where xx is the number of the
> display.  For windows clients, this would be 00.  The 5900 port would be
> used by the VNCViewer application to connect.  The 5800 port is for the
java
> viewer application.  You might want to try pointing a browser at her ip
with
> port 5800 specified on it (i.e. w.x.y.z:5800 where w.x.y.z is her IP
> number).
>
> As for whether they could be blocking the ports, yea they could be.  I
don't
> see anything on their site that indicates they are against customer's
> hosting services (web, ftp, etc..) but this does not mean they are not
> blocking the ports.
>

> I am in NC and a friend is in OH.  I have been helping her learn more
about
> the computer using VNC (thanks guys!).  She was originally on Win98 and we
> connected a couple times a week with no problem.  We are both on Time
Warner
> cable.  One day, she contacted me, unable to connect to my FTP server.
When