vnc-list-digest V1 #908

John Creegan jcreegan "at" questarweb.com
Fri, 03 Nov 2000 14:40:55 +0000

My cable provider "leases" IP addresses for a random period of time, then expires
and switches them.  It sounds like her IP address got reassigned.  As her to
hover her pointer over the VNC icon in the system tray.  Her machine's IP address
will appear momentarily.  If you can't write it down that fast, just move off the icon
and go back as often as you need.  If the IP has changed, you'll probably want to
find out from the ISP how often they reassign the IP.  You can do that by running
"winipcfg.  Near the bottom (you'll have to select "more"), you'll see a line for the lease
expiration date/time.  Also, it may be because the IP's are probably assigned with a
DHCP server.  When's the last time she rebooted?  Did the problem appear right after
she rebooted?  If so, perhaps the problem is not that the ISP expires leases on IP's,
but that the ISP's DHCP server assigns a new one after every reboot.

> Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2000 10:54:07 -0500
> From: "David McDowell" <dmcdowell "at" dynproinc.com>
> Subject: connection issue win98, now win2000 also

> I am in NC and a friend is in OH.  I have been helping her learn more about
> the computer using VNC (thanks guys!).  She was originally on Win98 and we
> connected a couple times a week with no problem.  We are both on Time Warner
> cable.  One day, she contacted me, unable to connect to my FTP server.  When
> I got home from work, ready to connect to her with VNC, suddenly I was
> getting 'Failed to connect to server.' messages.  We can ping each other
> with no problems.  We checked her configuration and nothing had changed from
> default, besides the password.  Now, just last night over the phone, I
> helped her format her machine and install Win2000 Prof.  One of the first
> things we tried was downloading the latest VNC to see if I could connect.
> No go.  Yet, she is able to connect to me, where I've also nothing changed
> from default besides the password.  What baffles me is that FTP (port 21)
> and VNC (port 0) both quit at the same time.  She now has a fresh
> installation and a new operating system and the errors are exactly the same.
> Could Time Warner be blocking those 2 ports, not allowing me to VNC in and
> not allowing her to FTP to me?  She can FTP to others, but no longer to me.
> I have not blocked her IP, as she can still VNC to me.  This mixed up
> situation has me confused.  I decided to join the list to see if you guys
> would have any suggestions for me.  I also use VNC inside the office for the
> servers and wanted to see about a solution to my home problem in case it
> ever happened in the office.  Thanks in advance!!
>

> David McDowell
> dmcdowell "at" dynproinc.com

John M. Creegan
UNIX Systems Administrator