Can one use Xvnc from xdm _and_ ensure only the user who logged in has access?

Warren Toomey wkt "at" henry.cs.adfa.edu.au
Fri, 03 Nov 2000 11:17:11 +0000

In article by Denes Molnar:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately, it is not really what I want to
> achieve. I think the problem is that what I want requires changing the vnc
> password of an already running session. I wonder whether one can "ask" vnc
> (e.g., by sending some signal) to reread the password file. Or else, I
> would have to let the users go past the login screen and create the vnc
> session only after that - I wish I knew how.
>
> Thanks anyway,
> Denes Molnar

What about this as a solution?

Run VNC out of inetd, so that a new VNC server is spawned on each connection:

vnc     stream  tcp     nowait nobody /usr/X11R6/bin/Xvnc Xvnc -inetd
                        -once -query pc155p -geometry 1024x768 -depth 16

You would probably need to set up a ~nobody/.vnc/passwd file. This password
would only be to authorise connections to the machine's VNC server.

With the -query flag above, each time Xvnc starts it would contact the xdm
running on the machine. So once the user connects to the VNC server, they
would get the usual xdm login screen. They can then login and get a
normal X session going.

I've used this at home to give my partner X access to my box from her
Windows box. Hope this helps.

	Warren