Can one use Xvnc from xdm _and_ ensure only the user who logged in has access?

Philip Andrew Philip.Andrew "at" stanfordalumni.org
Thu, 02 Nov 2000 12:44:03 +0000

>> Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately, it is not really what I want to
>> achieve. I think the problem is that what I want requires changing the vnc
>> password of an already running session.
>
> No, you can't do this, to my knowledge.

What we do to produce something akin to what (I think) you're trying to
achieve is the following:  Each user is assigned a display number, so
they can go ahead and start their own VNC server using the
'start_vnc_server' command (see last week's thread about this).  Then,
when logging in on a Unix box (Solaris, anyway), you can do the
following:  choose "Session->Failsafe" (which logs you in but only opens
a single terminal window with no window manager), then run "vncviewer
:<myDisp> -fullscreen", and presto!  Your VNC session is running on your
Solaris display as if you were running it directly on display :0 !  (but
of course with the added feature that you can "log out" of your session,
but keep it running, access it from home, etc).

-Phil