Problems running VNC server with 'dtwm'

Philip Andrew Philip.Andrew "at" stanfordalumni.org
Thu, 02 Nov 2000 12:26:04 +0000

Hi --

Does anyone out there successfully run 'dtwm' as their window manager?
I've tried changing my 'xstartup' file so that it contains simply

   dtwm &

but this doesn't work -- I mean, it starts up CDE with the multiple
workspaces, but I get a ton of errors, and none of my home session apps
start up; I can't even click on the "Exit" button without getting an
error pop-up:

   The request to service this action has failed for the following reason:
   TT_ERR_NO_MATCH  There is no running program to handle this
   message, nor is there a static ptype to start such a program.  Check
   whether the applicationn needs to install ptypes using (blah blah
blah) ...

Anyway, I've appended the 'errorlog' to the end of this message -- the
first 6

   Workspace Manager: Invalid key specification ...

messages come up immediately upon starting the VNC server, but the rest
of the error messages don't come up until I open a VNC viewer, and start
up a terminal session using the CDE buttons.

Is there some sort of environment that I have to set up first?  Or is
'dtwm' just incompatible with VNC?  By the way, this is on a Sun
UltraSPARC-60 running Solaris 8 system, so I think it's CDE 1.3 ...

Failing getting 'dtwm' to work, are there other window managers out
there that provide multiple workspaces?

Thanks.

-Phil

------- ~/.dt/errorlog -------
Thu Nov 02 03:52:56 2000
Workspace Manager: Invalid key specification on line 224 of
configuration file /usr/dt/config/C/sys.dtwmrc

Thu Nov 02 03:52:56 2000
Workspace Manager: Invalid key specification on line 125 of
configuration file /home/phil/.dt/user.dtwmrc

Thu Nov 02 03:52:56 2000
Workspace Manager: Invalid key specification on line 126 of
configuration file /home/phil/.dt/user.dtwmrc

Thu Nov 02 03:52:56 2000
Workspace Manager: Invalid key specification on line 127 of
configuration file /home/phil/.dt/user.dtwmrc

Thu Nov 02 03:52:56 2000
Workspace Manager: Invalid key specification on line 128 of
configuration file /home/phil/.dt/user.dtwmrc

Thu Nov 02 03:52:56 2000
Workspace Manager: Invalid key specification on line 129 of
configuration file /home/phil/.dt/user.dtwmrc

Thu Nov 02 03:52:56 2000
Workspace Manager: Invalid key specification on line 130 of
configuration file /home/phil/.dt/user.dtwmrc

Thu Nov  2 03:56:57 2000 (/usr/dt/bin/dtexec) ksh

Warning: Cannot convert string "<Key>Escape,_Key_Cancel" to type
VirtualBinding
Warning: Cannot convert string "<Key>Home,_Key_Begin" to type VirtualBinding
Warning: Cannot convert string "<Key>F1,_Key_Help" to type VirtualBinding
Warning: Cannot convert string "Shift<Key>F10,_Key_Menu" to type
VirtualBinding
Warning: Cannot convert string "<Key>F10,Shift_Key_Menu" to type
VirtualBinding
Warning: Cannot convert string "<Key>KP_Enter,_Key_Execute" to type
VirtualBinding
Warning: Cannot convert string "Alt<Key>Return,Alt_Key_KP_Enter" to type
VirtualBinding

Thu Nov  2 03:56:58 2000 (/usr/dt/bin/dtexec) /usr/dt/bin/dtterm

[...]

Warning:
   Name: Copy
   Class: XmPushButtonGadget
   Illegal mnemonic character;  Could not convert X KEYSYM to a keycode

Warning:
   Name: Paste