WinVNC .ini file?

ROTTENBERG,HAL (HP-USA,ex1) hal_rottenberg "at" hp.com
Wed, 01 Nov 2000 13:44:28 +0000

You don't have to hand-edit the registry entries.  Since you are comparing
to INI files, the most similar way is to work with .REG files.  Run Regedit,
choose a key (doesn't matter which one, this is just an example.  Go to the
Registry menu and choose Export Registry File and save it to a known place
on your hard drive.  Open that file in Notepad.  (If you right click you
should see Edit as an option.)  Editing these .REG files is no more
complicated than an INI files, as long as you know what the settings should
be.

So, make the changes you want by hand, export the appropriate section of the
registry to a file, then bring that file to another machine.  Unlike an INI
file that just has to be sitting in the right place on the hard drive, REG
files must be first imported into the registry.  This is pretty easy though,
just double-click on the file.  Depending on what OS you are running, you
will either get an OK box saying it was successful, or you will be prompted
with a yes/no box before the import.

Be very careful when doing these things.  For example, if you were to
accidentally export the _entire_ registry instead of just the VNC key, and
were to import that onto a different machine--it's format & reinstall OS
time.

Hal Rottenberg             | Hewlett-Packard
Technical Support Engineer | Phone: +1-404-774-4041
Internet Security Division | Email: hal_rottenberg "at" hp.com