SSH for 95/98

David Starks-Browning starksb "at"
Wed, 01 Nov 2000 12:06:08 +0000

On Tuesday 31 Oct 00, Glenn Mabbutt writes:
> Oops.  You're right, I should have been more specific.  To clarify, I'm
> looking at the page linked from the VNC SSH page, which is here:

Uggh.  Yes, I see now that this thread (from over 1 year ago) is
linked from <> in the
"Useful links" section.  I don't believe it should still be promoted
as "useful", except possibly for the techniques on running sshd
(e.g. as a service) on Win95.

> It was the first page I found that dealt with ssh on Win9x.  However, I also
> emailed Sergey Okhapin, who is listed as putting coolview.tar.gz together,
> and he said the same thing - ie, cygwin1.dll works better and does the same
> thing.  He also had a version of ssh ported using Cygwin on his ftp site
> (, which I've downloaded and I'm currently playing with
> the getting sshd to function properly on Win95.  However, given that there's
> an "official" port of OpenSSH available, I'll give that a try (assuming
> they're different).
> When I get it working (and I find the time) I'll put together my own updated
> doc on how to do this.

Great, good luck.  Hopefully the vnc/sshvnc.html page can be amended

  David Starks-Browning                  | starksb "at"
  EMBL Outstation --                     |
  The European Bioinformatics Institute  |
  Wellcome Trust Genome Campus           | tel: +44 (1223) 494 616
  Hinxton, Cambridge, CB10 1SD, UK       | fax: +44 (1223) 494 468
to majordomo "at"
See also: