Logging VNC connections

James ''Wez'' Weatherall jnw22 "at" cam.ac.uk
Thu, 31 Aug 2000 16:33:31 +0000

> Here's an example of the "mess" that one of our servers logs:
> >>>
> D:\ORL\vss\winvnc\vncClient.cpp : authentication failed
> Wed Aug 30 10:54:37 2000
> D:\ORL\vss\winvnc\vncSockConnect.cpp : accepted connection from
10.253.1.10
> D:\ORL\vss\winvnc\vncClient.cpp : client connected : 10.253.1.10 (1)
> Wed Aug 30 10:54:40 2000
> D:\ORL\vss\winvnc\vncService.cpp : SelectHDESK to Screen-saver (b0) from
> 38D:\ORL\vss\winvnc\vncService.cpp : SelectHDESK failed to close old
desktop
> 38 (Err=170)
> D:\ORL\vss\winvnc\vncDesktop.cpp : initialised palette OK
> D:\ORL\vss\winvnc\vncEncoder.cpp : only 8, 16 or 32 bits supported
remotely
> - 0 requested
> >>>

> The problem is extracting the connection info from this log file.
> At best, my log file parser took 3 passes to figure out connections.
> I guess I'm off to get the source code and dust off my old C books. :)

I agree that the format could be neater.  Actually, I had plans a while ago
to switch the logging system from a level system to a bitmask system (1=log
connections, 2=log errors, 4=log display problems, etc...) but I haven't got
round to it yet.

Personally, I'd just write a parser to look for lines containing the text
"vncClient.cpp", since that's a prefix common to all relevant log messages.

James "Wez" Weatherall