Win 2000, Zone Alarm, Random Reboots and other goodies

Wallendahl, Michael/SEA mwallend "at" ch2m.com
Thu, 31 Aug 2000 07:30:05 +0000

Ahhh!  ZoneAlarm doesn't like SP1 unless you make a change. See:

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q269/6/76.ASP

-And-

http://www.zonelabs.com/support.htm

That may be the only thing you have to change.  One trick I found out with
ZoneAlarm is that even if you shut it down from the system tray, it
sometimes leaves the "TrueVector Internet Monitor" service running, which
can cause problems.  I ended up writing a quick batch file to shut down the
service that I run after shutting down zonealarm.  This caused me WEEKS of
headaches trying to get my VPN connection to work up and running.

-Mike

ObVNCRelatedPost:

I prefer to use the stand alone Windows vncviewer.exe client vs the Java
client because it offers more options and seems to run faster for me.  Plus,
it is so small at 172KB that it is trivial to run off a floppy or network
share, even over a modem.