Still can't change the IP port in WinVNC

Victor Reiner victor "at" keyisit.com
Wed, 30 Aug 2000 01:07:47 +0000

Krishna,
thanks, but the info you supplied didn't help me.  First, the items in the
docs you pointed out refer to Display Port, not IP port.  There are mentions
of ports 5800 and 5900 but not how to change them. Second, there is no
registry entry called PortNumber.  I searched the registries of 3 computers
on which I had installed VNC.  AutoPortNumber exists, but once again refers
to Display Port, not IP.

Has anyone on the list actually changed the IP port in the Windows version
VNC?  I posted a question here  and each person who responded (thanks all)
pointed me to the docs and FAQ (which don't actually contain the needed
info) or had some thoughts but weren't sure.  I chased down the suggestions
from the aforementioned respondents, to no avail.  I'd really appreciate
someone's help who's done it themselves.  Thanks in advance...  -=Victor=-

-----Original Message-----
From: Krishna Behara [mailto:krishna.behara "at" oracle.com]
Sent: Thursday, August 24, 2000 11:27 AM
To: vnc-list "at" uk.research.att.com
Subject: Re: Changing IP port in WinVNC

Actually you have to use regedit and change the settings as described
at the following URL:

http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/winvnc.html

Look under the "WinVNC Advanced Setting" heading:
Read the 4 numbered points that they have there to see
where the properties that need to  be changed are located
so that you can access them using "regedit" from
Start->Run-> (type regedit).

Then search for PortNumber and user regedit to change it.

FYI: In case you are thinking of changing the port number to a
value less than 5900, then when connecting you have to specify
the port number as <VALUE> - 5900
eg to set to port 23 (telnet port)
    port number to connect with should be: 23 - 5900 = -5877

Krishna