server disconnect means what?

James ''Wez'' Weatherall jnw22 "at" cam.ac.uk
Tue, 29 Aug 2000 15:30:43 +0000

> I've got vnc working in various places and am finally trying to use ssh. I
> think the ssh redirection is working. At least I don't get any errors when
> set it up. But when I launch ./vncclient localhost:2 to attach I get a
> message that says "disconnected by server" before it asks for a password.
> have no idea how to debug this because I don't know what the mesage means.
>
> I can access the server from within its own network (not using ssh.)
>
> I can use the same client to access other servers within its own network.
>
> I can use ssh to connect directly (i.e. a shell connection) so I don't
think
> it is an ssh client/server compatibility problem.
>
> I just can't get this client (linux) to access this server (WinNT) throgh
> firewall via ssh.
>
> As a test I tried to connect to a non existant server to make sure the
> messages were different. Sure enough it said "can't connect to server"
> instead of "disconnected by server."

This means that the viewer was able to connect but the connection was then
immediately closed again.  You'll get that behaviour if SSH is being made to
forward to a non-existent port - it has to accept the connection from the
client but once it finds it can't contact the other end, it will close the
connection.

So your SSH forwarding is messed up!

Cheers,

James "Wez" Weatherall