Grey Screen?

Parker, Chris Chris_Parker "at" bmc.com
Tue, 29 Aug 2000 14:23:15 +0000

I may have some new information on this.  I have been getting the same
errors as Dan.  The problem I have does not even require a remote
connection.  If I start
vncserver from CLOS and then run the viewer in CLOS, I get the same results.
I noticed while watching the process manager that when my ~/.vnc/xstartup
contains "startkde", the shell script appears to hang during the
kcontrol -init.  When the ~/.vnc/xstartup contains the default script, I am
hanging in xsetroot -solid grey.  Am I correct in thinking that this is a
permissions problem?  If so, does anyone have a clue what I need to do to
fix
it?

Thanks,
Chris
-----Original Message-----
From: Dan Fulbright [mailto:vnc-list "at" okra.org]
Sent: Friday, August 25, 2000 10:57 AM
To: vnc-list "at" uk.research.att.com
Subject: Re: Grey Screen?

> I am running RH 6.1 on my server and my computer (client) is Win98. I
>  run the vncserver just fine and the viewer appears to operate fine as
>  well accept I get a grey screen. I have read the FAQ and have changed
>  from twm to kde (which i prefer) with no luck. I have run the vncserver
>  both as root and as a user with no luck.

[...]

> Is the "ignoring the unknown encoding type 3" the key here? Any ideas?

No, that shouldn't be a problem.  Here's my $HOME/.vnc/xstartup.  Mine
works fine.

#!/bin/sh

kcontrol -init
(sleep 1 && exec kfm) &
(sleep 1 && exec krootwm) &
(sleep 1 && exec kpanel) &
(sleep 3 && exec kbgndwm) &
sleep 2 ; kwm
/usr/local/bin/vncserver -kill :`echo $DISPLAY | cut -f2 -d:`

I have that last line in there so it will kill the VNC server process when
I log out of KDE.

Dan Fulbright