Errors Compiling On Solaris 7

Waltner, Steve swaltner "at" lsil.com
Tue, 29 Aug 2000 14:23:07 +0000

Did you read my previous response to your message? Here it is for your
reference. Solaris does NOT come with a working C compiler out of the box
(as is the case with many commercial UNIX systems now). Visit the web site
show below for details on what you need to compile ANY software on Solaris.

First you need a compiler. See the section on programming at
http://www.sun.com/smcc/solaris-migration/docs/FAQ/SolarisMigrationFAQ.html.
You can either spend the $1,000 for a copy of Sun's Workshop C/C++ Compiler,
or find a copy of the binaries for GCC. If you go with GCC, I'll warn you
that most of the binaries that I have found are many years old. You can
download the source code for gcc from ftp.gnu.org and get up to the latest
version once you get a working compiler .

To find the other commands that are needed for the build process, look in
the man page for that command. The man pages usually have the full path to
the command. You will likely need to add /usr/ccs/bin/ to get make and ar.
If you really need xmkmf, that is located in /usr/openwin/bin/.

Steve Waltner
LSI Logic
Steve.Waltner "at" lsil.com