VNC, Opus, and my nightmare

Andreas Jakobs andreas.jakobs "at" hl.siemens.de
Mon, 28 Aug 2000 17:29:33 +0000

> >Hi Jeff,
> >
> >one remark: Are you using Opus 4.3.4 or 4.4.x ?
> >
> >As far as I can remember, Opus 4.3.4 was not at all able to hadle xauth
> >authorisation, because it was statically linked to X11R3 libs, which
> >didn't know about xauth.
> >
> >If it's 4.4.x this shouldn't be the problem.
>
> Hmmm ... it is Opus 4.3.4.

OK, the you're lost with xauth (see below).

> >Have you tried "unix:2" and ":2" as Display settings?
>
> Just tried that, and neither worked.

For Opus or for xterm etc. ?

> >One more question: Have you ever succeeded in running Opus in VNC?
>
> I had never tried it until this one user complained.  I believe it has
> worked at other Intel sites.

Could you try to find out?

> >Me and some other guy out there have the problem, that VNC redraws the
> >whole screen every second due to the silly colormap changes, Opus sends out
> >for blinking layers.
> >
> >Did anyone succed in suppressing this?
>
> I haven't seen this one yet.  I'm sure my customers will love that, if it's
> true for our environment.

I'd be happy to hear that you or your colleagues found a workaround :-)

> But I still wonder why localhost:2 fails to work.

I wonder too for the xterm as a client!

> Is it possible to disable xauth?

Yes, "xhost + localhost" or "xhost + `hostname`" should do it.

Regards, Andreas

#  Andreas Jakobs, Infineon MP CAD, 		Andreas.Jakobs "at" Infineon.com
#  Phone.(Fax) +49 89/636-25690 (-28983)
#
#  Windows: Indianisch fuer "Weisser Mann, der auf Sanduhr wartet".