Grey Screen?

Dan Fulbright vnc-list "at" okra.org
Fri, 25 Aug 2000 17:05:26 +0000

> I am running RH 6.1 on my server and my computer (client) is Win98. I
>  run the vncserver just fine and the viewer appears to operate fine as
>  well accept I get a grey screen. I have read the FAQ and have changed
>  from twm to kde (which i prefer) with no luck. I have run the vncserver
>  both as root and as a user with no luck.

[...]

> Is the "ignoring the unknown encoding type 3" the key here? Any ideas?

No, that shouldn't be a problem.  Here's my $HOME/.vnc/xstartup.  Mine
works fine.

#!/bin/sh

kcontrol -init
(sleep 1 && exec kfm) &
(sleep 1 && exec krootwm) &
(sleep 1 && exec kpanel) &
(sleep 3 && exec kbgndwm) &
sleep 2 ; kwm
/usr/local/bin/vncserver -kill :`echo $DISPLAY | cut -f2 -d:`

I have that last line in there so it will kill the VNC server process when
I log out of KDE.

Dan Fulbright