Changing IP port in WinVNC

Victor Reiner victor "at" keyisit.com
Fri, 25 Aug 2000 03:36:17 +0000

Actually, this is confused me before.  Everywhere "port" seems to refer to
viewing port, or window, or session.  If you have multiple sessions running,
you can switch between them.  To reinforce this, one cannot insert negative
numbers in the GUI screen.  Is that truly the place to set the IP port?

Krishna wrote:
Actually you have to use regedit and change the settings as described
at the following URL:

http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/winvnc.html

Look under the "WinVNC Advanced Setting" heading:
Read the 4 numbered points that they have there to see
where the properties that need to  be changed are located
so that you can access them using "regedit" from
Start->Run-> (type regedit).

Then search for PortNumber and user regedit to change it.

FYI: In case you are thinking of changing the port number to a
value less than 5900, then when connecting you have to specify
the port number as <VALUE> - 5900
eg to set to port 23 (telnet port)
    port number to connect with should be: 23 - 5900 = -5877

Krishna