Automatic install/remove

Bryan A. Pendleton bpendleton "at" mail.com
Thu, 24 Aug 2000 14:48:31 +0000

At 02:18 PM 8/24/00 +0200, Ulrik wrote:
>Been out of the mailing list for a while, so I need your help finding a
>specific thread:
>
>6 months ago I read about someone who created a batch program for the user
>to install VNC, start the program and after the session had ended it was
>automatically removed again. Can anyone recall this thread?

I'm not sure about the previous discussion, but I've worked up a system
like that for the company I work for currently. I've been given permission
to publish it, so I will as soon as I get a chance.

In our case, it installs the server, connects back to a pre-determined
host, waits until the user says they're done, closes everything down and
removes it all. Not perfect, but it works well enough that we're happy with
it. And a self-extracting and running e-mailable archive is a grand totaly
of 150k (before e-mail encoding expansion.... which puts it up at about ~210k)

If I haven't posted anything about it within the next 7 days, drop me an
e-mail. I'm about to head back to school, so getting it up on the web might
get put aside if I don't happen to get it done fast enough.