Solution: Using VNC as a HelpDesk Tool

Dries Feys dries "at" tvh.be
Fri, 18 Aug 2000 12:04:07 +0000

We use it on a slight different way, even more simple...

On each user's desktop there is a shortcut named 'helpdesk' which the user
has to activate to allow remote control.  At that moment we're able to take
control of the server pc.
Afterwards, when we're finished with the intervention, we simple go to the
icon tray, and choose "close vnc".  Till now ( about 1 year of use now), we
nearly had problems with it.

Vnc also is refused through the firewall...

Regards

Dries Feys-IT department
TVH forklift parts-Thermote & Vanhalst NV
Driemasten 120-126 -- B-8560 Gullegem-Belgium
E-mail: Dries "at" tvh.be-URL: http://www.tvh.be
Tel: +32 (0)56 434745 -- Fax: +32 (0)56 434488

This implementation of VNC uses the original software without any
 modifications. Implementation of
security and user's privacy is made by having the user to accept the
 connection. Using simple and
standardised products made it easy to develop and deploy.
We've distributed that package (~ 3'000 PCs) and it's used everyday, even
with
 slow link.
Security concerns are low since the user has to click on OK to activate
VNC.
 Then if he/she forget
to stop it, it will time-out after 60 minutes. We don't allow VNC to get
 through the firewall.

We had only one problem so far: IBM Personal Communications is messing up
with
 the
numeric keypad... we get used to.

Flavien Scheurer