WinVNC on Win98 display setting bug?

John Dougan jdougan "at" acm.org
Fri, 18 Aug 2000 07:44:51 +0000

When I start WinVNC 3.3.3r7 on Windows 98 SE, I lose the ability to change
my display settings. The display change widget in the system tray has its
menu reduced down to the currently active setting and any attempt to change
the display settings from the control panel (such as changing the bit
depth) gets the dialog:

"The display control panel is unable to change the display settings. Please
check your display behavior in device manager."

Checking the device manager, nothing seems to be wrong. My video is an ATI
Xpert 98 (Rage Pro) and I've tried both the current ATI drivers and the one
shipped with Win98.

Otherwise the server seems to run nicely, and I can log in from a client.

Reading through the documentation, it seems to imply that changing the
display should be do-able (the bit about changing the screen causes a
disconnect)...so what am I doing wrong?
Thanks in advance,

--john
--