Tunneling

Krishna Behara krishna.behara "at" oracle.com
Thu, 17 Aug 2000 19:13:04 +0000

First of all thanks for all the responses.
Ingecom - SERRE Jean-Christophe wrote:

> What are you exactly trying to do, why, etc.?
>
> If you're locked behind a HTTP-only proxy/firewall and want to get
> through from a VNC viewer, you could only possibly do it using the free
> windoz tool HTTPort from
> = http://www.geocities.com/ResearchTriangle/6651/httport.htm
>
> But it'll work only if your web proxy supports the CONNECT feature
> (which it should not).

Why I was talking about tunnelling is that my company does not have
VPN using DSL unless I get a leased line which is expensive. What they do
have is a secure net key kind of authentication but all that allows you to
do is telnet to a machine and use the intranet.

So there are 2 options, one to have a web server running and use the
tool you mentioned. There is a person who did that but the VNC client that
appears is  inside a browser and is very slow, guess its an applet.

The other option was if I could somehow use a telnet tunnel , in that I
should have
a telnetd running on my NT4.0 machine and then somehow start the client
session.
Is this is possible, this would be some what similar to what is done with
the
GoGlobal software from Graphon only that is for exporting X-displays.

Hope this makes sense.

Krishna