VNC and Cadence Opus

Andreas Jakobs andreas.jakobs "at" hl.siemens.de
Thu, 17 Aug 2000 14:17:29 +0000

Hi,

a while ago Kris Chou wrote :

> When I run cadence opus 4.3.4 on a VNC server, it appears to constantly
> refresh the screen and really bogs down the performance. This is true
> even when I iconize it.

> Does anyone know how to fix this?

I'm sorry that I can't offer a fix, but I can contribute annother piece
of Information:

The Cadence SW uses a very dumb way to realize blinking features. It
periodically updates the colormap. Even if there is no blinking layer
visible or even defined in the techfile (It then actually sets one
colormap entry from black to black and back again every second).

So the more specific question to this community is:

Under which circumstances does VNC do a buffer redraw if the colormap of
a 8 bit PseudoColor visual server is changed? How can we influence this
by server or client side options?

I do remember that it depends on the client (or which OS and/or
X-Display it runs) whether there is a periodic redraw or not.

Thanks for any help

Andreas

#  Andreas Jakobs, Infineon MP CAD, 		Andreas.Jakobs "at" Infineon.com
#  Phone.(Fax) +49 89/636-25690 (-28983)
#
#  Windows: Indianisch fuer "Weisser Mann, der auf Sanduhr wartet".