changing VNC password. Windows specific.

Ingecom - SERRE Jean-Christophe jcs "at" ingecom.com
Wed, 16 Aug 2000 20:33:59 +0000

"Kenneth Foster" <fosterk "at" aenigma.net> wrote:

> I was wondering if anyone had written a remote password changer program?  I
> couldn't find reference to one in the archives.
>
> It would work like this, very windows specific spec will follow:
>
> VB application, so it can be extended easily by my limited skills
> Use the encryption method in the VNC viewer/server
> Support remote and local registry connection ( I have the code for this)
> Interface is simple, two input boxes and a go button.  Box one is password
> desired, second box is name/ip address of the computer.  If it used the same
> algorithm as the viewer/server it should, in theory give you the ability to
> change the password of the VNC viewer (running as a server) remotely without
> having to log in.
>
> If anyone has written a program like this or would like to please contact
> me, on or off list.  I would like source too as I use a different encryption
> key in my viewer/server.

>From archive at
= http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/archives/2000-07/
see the "Updating VNC Password on Win 9x" thread.

It's not fully what you seek but may help. Basically you could generate
locally the content of the password registry key with the encrypted new
password, then change it on the remote comp using RegEdit in remote
editing mode.

--
JCS - Jean-Christophe SERRE - INGECOM France - +33 (0)1.48.34.12.34

Microsoft: the 51st State of America -- 52nd coming soon!