vnc server on solaris

James Gray james_gray "at" modusmedia.com
Tue, 15 Aug 2000 01:19:35 +0000

Brian,

I'd agree that it doesn't sound like a network issue but best make sure the
VNC server is actually running before we rule it out :-)

I had to put in a little more effort to get VNC on SOlaris running as
opposed to the Win 9x/NT versions.  Firstly, download the binaries for
Solaris 2.5 (they work on Solaris 2.6 and 7, and AFAIK 8).  Un-tar them, and
read the README file on where to put the files.  Go to www.sunfreeware.com
and download Perl appropriate for your version of Solaris and do a "pkgadd".
Once Perl is installed it will put the Perl binary in /usr/local/bin and you
will need to edit the vncserver script to point to this location (the 1st
line of the script should read "#!/usr/local/bin/perl" - without the "").

Now you need to make sure xauth is in your path, if not add it like this:
"export PATH=$PATH:/path/to/xauth"

You should now be able to run the VNC server and if all goes well, it will
ask you for a password (if one isn't set) and then you're up an running! :-)
To check type "ps -ef|grep Xvnc|grep -v grep" you should get one line for
each VNC server running on your system.

Good Luck,

James