vnc server on solaris

W. Brian Blevins brian "at" tridia.com
Mon, 14 Aug 2000 14:42:56 +0000

Brian,

> Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2000 14:49:19 -0400
> From: "psdayton" <psdayton "at" grc.nasa.gov>
> Subject: vnc server on solaris
>
> Hello,
>
> I'm new to the vnc app so bear with me.  I am able to get vnc viewer to go
> from my CE device to my NT workstation,
> vncviewer to go from NT to NT and the vnc viewer to go from my solaris
> workstation to an NT machine. I'm unable to
> get the viewer to go from CE/Nt to soalris.  I keep getting an error
> message; failed to connect to server.
> I can ping the machine, telnet to it so I know that it is not a network
> problem.
>
> What exactly do I need to do on the solaris side to get things working?  All
> I did was to get the binary off the website.
> Does the vncserver need to be run by root or any user?
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

My best guess is that no Xvnc server process is not running on
the Solaris machine.  You can fire these up using the "vncserver"
script.

Using TridiaVNC on Solaris:

http://www.tridiavnc.com/

there is no problem with permissions in the /tmp directory because
the TridiaVNC installer makes the Xvnc binary set-uid.  This allows
any user to run TridiaVNC on Solaris without modifying the /tmp
permissions.  TridiaVNC is fully compatible with the other RFB 3.3
compliant components in use.

Tridia also offers commercial support, consulting and development
for VNC related technologies.  Further information is available on
our web site.

--
Brian