Java client restrictec to 8 bit???

W. Brian Blevins brian "at" tridia.com
Mon, 14 Aug 2000 14:27:43 +0000

Joe,

> Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2000 15:33:58 EDT
> From: "Chilly Wang" <chillywang "at" hotmail.com>
> Subject: Java client restrictec to 8 bit???
>
> Sorry about that previous e-mail. I guess I can come forth with my actual
> issue now that I know I can talk..
>

> I'm using a Debian Linux based server with the Java classes installed. My
> question is, no matter what I put the depth as when starting the server, the
> web browser window with the java client always shows 8 bit. Is there any way
> at all to bump it up to at least 16 bit?
>
> this was addressed previously in the archive but no resolution was there.

This is not possible in the current version of the Java viewer
shipped with TridiaVNC and AT&T VNC.  There is another Java
viewer available and it *might* support other color depths.
I'm not familiar with it:

http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/contrib/mfviewer.tar.gz

The problem is that the viewer only implements an 8-bit color
model.  The RFB protocol says that the client can get any depth
it wants and the server has to provide it.  For one reason or
the other, no one implemented a 16-bit color model for the Java
viewer.

It would probably be easiest to jump straight to a 24/32 bit
implementation, given the way that color is handled inside the
JVM.  Tridia provides consulting and custom development for
VNC related technologies.  If you are interested in paying for
this development, please visit our web site:

http://www.tridiavnc.com/

--
Brian