Firewall setup

Jeff Rhude jrhude "at" chell.com
Fri, 11 Aug 2000 19:43:03 +0000

Charles,

I have actually done this here.

VNC traffic travels on TCP 5901. Depending on the type of router you should
be able to map the outside IP port to an internal VNC host. Outbound traffic
may be a problem, again depending on the firewall.

If you have several hosts internally, instead of doing a 1:1 VNC type
connection you may want to conside Citrix's Metaframe Product and MS
Terminal Server which allows multiple desktops off one machine.

Feel free to email me with further thoughts.

Jeff Rhude
Technology Analyst
Chell.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Dewar Charles R [mailto:Charles.Dewar "at" LonestarHealth.com]
Sent: Friday, August 11, 2000 12:09 PM
To: WinVNC list (E-mail)
Subject: Firewall setup

Here's the plan. We want to set up a DSL connection from our LAN to the
internet and DSL connections from users' homes to the internet. How could we
set up a firewall or some other way so that only the WinVNC port traffic is
passed through. This firewall/VPN connection would only be for WinVNC
traffic. Ideas?

Charles